Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Cellar Hole Site

Hey All!

Today we got the chance to go back to the sites that we plotted out and actually did the vegetation study. The cellar hole site was really easy. The site had only 14 trees within the 150 m2 plot. This was vastly different from the cemetery site which had over 26 trees! I guess we shouldn't be too surprised because we figured that the cellar hole site was cleared at one point for the settlement and the cemetery was left untouched.

I have to admit that I get a little chill each time I enter the cemetery site, I'm glad my main site was the homestead. I'm not sure what it is about that cemetery site but I think because it has been left untouched for so long and mounts are falling down or have disappeared. I think every childhood fear of the unknown comes to the front of my mind when I step in the site. It is spooky yet calming all at once. Very Strange!

I'm looking forward to seeing the vernal pool and wetlands sites that Elaina and Johanna are working on. I've spent some time on Katherine's site but have NO clue what the other two are up to! I need to feel connected at all times :).

I'm ready for tomorrow and setting up the Cairns and then finishing up the coring samples.

Take Care!

~Steph

2 comments:

Lara said...

That is a fascinating finding about tree density at your cellar hole site. Can you think of any other reason for this difference between your site and the cemetary?

It is great that you want to be in touch with all your peers. This means that the group has truly working.

Yvonka said...

I definitely agree about the cemetery site. I was curious so Tessa, Lara, and I stopped by last week. One, I felt strange possibly stepping on their plots and two, are they still out there? If I were out there in the dark that thought would scare me!

I am also really interested to hear about the history of the homestead too. There lives were so different than ours. Can't wait!